How To Get a STD Test in Orlando Without A Doctor’s Prescription
Traditionally, getting tested for a sexually transmitted disease (STD) involved going to the doctor and suffering the embarrassment of having to explain your situation not to mention the high costs involved in the process.
Thankfully, this is not the only option available, today.
Instead of going to a doctor or a hospital, you can now buy a home STD test kit, pay for an online STD lab test service or visit a free STD clinic in the Orlando area.
Keep reading to learn about how these alternatives compare – and where to find each type of test in the Orlando area.
Reading this on a mobile phone?
Take our 60-second quiz to find the right STD test for your needs and budget:
- 100% anonymous
- no strings attached
- we don’t want your email
4 Types of STD Tests Compared
The rest of this page reviews the pros and cons of each method and explains how & where to get tested.
Good luck on your test!
1. Home STD Test Kits
One of the simplest and cheapest ways to get an STD test is to purchase a home test kit.
This method of STD testing involves buying a test kit from one of the many online vendors; collecting a sample such as urine; and, sending it back for testing.
The results are then sent to you by email within a day or two.
This is a great option if you want to maintain your anonymity. or if you are on a busy schedule and don’t want to have to meet a doctor.
- Home STD Tests are cheap. You can get a home test kit for as low as $50. But if you need to get several tests, expect to pay over $150. This is still very affordable compared to what you would pay in a hospital.
- They maintain your privacy. The whole process is discreet and strict confidentiality is applied at every stage.
- They are Convenient. You get to know your health status without even leaving your home. What could be more convenient?
That said, home STD tests DO have some obvious drawbacks…
- They are Less Accurate than other forms of STD testing. Because the entire process is not undertaken in a strict lab environment, there is a high risk of the sample getting compromised. This results in potentially inaccurate results.
- No counseling is available for those who would like some professional advice after taking the test.
Where To Buy A Home STD Test
I recommend buying your at-home STD test online from Amazon.com. Most local drugstores carry some home test kits, but the selection on Amazon is the best.
2. Online Test Labs in Orlando
If you are looking for a more accurate STD testing method, consider getting an Online STD test lab.
No, online test labs do not test you for an STD, virtually – at least not yet.
- Your anonymity is protected. You use a unique code instead of your name when getting your sample taken.
- Convenient. The visit to the lab takes around five minutes without any long wait times. You can conveniently access your test results online.
- Accurate. Because everything is done in a lab, there is very little chance the sample will be contaminated. This results in greater accuracy.
- A bit more expensive. You will spend a little bit more on an online STD test compared to buying a home test kit. But the extra cost comes with the advantage of improved accuracy.
How An Online STD Test Works
The process is really simple.
Once you pay for the test online, you will be given the location of a nearby lab where a sample will be taken.
The lab visit takes around five minutes, and there are no long wait times to contend with.
Once the results are ready, which takes 2 to 3 days, you can access them online.
This diagram below explains how the process works.
Where To Buy an Online STD Test
The largest online STD test lab in the United States is STDCheck:
- Visit STDCheck.com NOW & Save $10
- more than 4,000 locations in the US
- process is quick and easy.
3. Free STD Testing in Orlando
The third option is free STD testing.
Within the Orlando metropolitan area, there are several government-run clinics providing free (or extremely low cost) STD testing services.
Since they are fully-fledged clinics, you are assured of the testing accuracy.
Here are two of the most popular Free STD Test Clinics in the Orlando metro area:
Florida Department of Health in Orange County
5151 Raleigh Street, Orlando, FL 32811
Orange County Health Department
832 W Central Blvd, Orlando, FL 32805
Facts About STDs in Orlando
Florida has for years been one of the leading states in terms of STD infection rates.
In most regions of the state, including Orlando, STDs have been rising in prevalence.
Chlamydia, gonorrhea and syphilis are especially common while HIV has seen a sharp uptick in recent years.
In response, the government and various organizations have stepped up testing, treatment and educational campaigns.
Rates of STD Infection in Orlando (vs. the U.S. Average)
As with most other metro areas in the US, Chlamydia has the highest infection rates. In 2010, it recorded 444.7 infections our of every 100,000 people; but, over the past few years this has risen to 485.1/100,000.
In 2015, the CDC recorded a Gonorrhea infection rate of 113.4/100,000 in the Orlando metro area.
This indicates an increase from 2013’s rate of 110.9, which is very close to the US average of 110.7.
Like with most other cities in the US, syphilis has one of the lowest infection rates.
According to the CDC, the infection rate for 2010 in Orlando was 18.3 but by 2015 it had risen to 34.5 per 100,000 people.
In terms of the number of cases, this was a rise from 391 infections n 2010 to 782 infections in 2015.
The HIV infection rate for Orlando ranks near the top when compared to other metro areas in the US.
The CDC recorded a new HIV infection rate of 50.2/100K residents in 2013.
This is quite low when compared to other metropolitan areas like Miami, but quite high when compared to most other urban regions.
If you would like to learn more visit the Florida Department of Health using the links:
You can also get more facts about STDs testing, treatment and prevention by visiting the CDC’s website.